Positive Behaviour Support (PBS)
What is PBS?
Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) is our whole-school approach to children’s behaviour. Students from Kindergarten to Year 6 participate in PBS lessons lead by classroom and specialist teachers. T
he aims of the PBS program are consistent with those of the Australian Curriculum ensuring that;
- Students inherent qualities/strengths/challenges are influenced and brought together in the whole-school environment. This environment includes the home, class, whole school community and wider community.
PBS is visible across the whole-school:
- All classrooms and blocks display the school’s four Expectations and Behaviour Matrix.
- Teaching, non-teaching and administration staff refer to these when presented with behavioural learning opportunities
- Students receiving merit awards or in-class awards, receive feedback in the form of PBS language taken from the matrix.
- At play-time, duty teachers seek opportunities to reward positive behaviour using gold cards. These gold cards display the school values and teachers can highlight the behaviour expectation shown by students.
- Students can enter their gold cards into a raffle. Selected students can win book prizes. All gold cards contribute to faction points.
At Burrendah we grow the Burrendah way. The whole-school community played a role in developing our school’s Behaviour Matrix. Each one of the Behaviour Expectations inside the matrix form a PBS lesson, providing students, staff, and parents with a language and culture to grow and live by.
Our 4R’s (Respect, Responsibility, Resilience and Reach) make up our four Expectations. Under these 4R’s are the school’s Behaviour Expectations. The locations we expect to see these behaviours are Everywhere/Everytime, Inside and Outside.
PBS at Burrendah is who we are and students and staff are actively involved in learning experiences. Parents and members of the Community have the opportunity to experience PBS every day when they look for opportunities to promote positive behaviour. PBS at Burrendah is about continued learning and development.