The Year 1 - 6 Music program at Burrendah Primary School is run by a specialist music teacher, with the aim of instilling not only an appreciation of music, but also a general understanding of how music works. Aural skills are improved through singing, listening and movement in order to improve the student's sense of musicianship. Students begin to learn basic music notation in Year 1 and there is an emphasis on tuneful singing in sol fa. The recorder is incorporated into the Year 4 & 5 class music programs, while in Years 6 there is a focus on students creating their own music. In 2013 this culminated in the creation of the Burrendah School song.
Students are given every opportunity to extend themselves and are encouraged to participate in Burrendah's extra-curricular music groups. These include a senior and junior choir, string orchestra, Year 6 chamber string ensemble, wind band, guitar ensemble and a Year 6 acapella group. The School of Instrumental Music (SIM) program also provides an opportunity for extension, allowing many students to study an instrument and perform at both school and community events. Instruments available to be studied at Burrendah PS are the violin, cello, double bass, guitar, clarinet, flute, baritone trumpet and trombone. More information on the SIM program is available here.
Our students are often accepted into both the Willetton and Rossmoyne Senior High School music ensembles, and we have students in the Western Australian Youth Orchestras and Australian Girls’ Choir.
Students have the opportunity to perform at a variety of events throughout the year. These include:
- The WA Primary Schools Massed Choir Festival at UWA – this event gives the Burrendah Choirs broader experience of singing in a larger group to a larger audience. We are very proud of the fact that Burrendah PS students have successfully auditioned as vocal soloists in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. We have also had students chosen to be comperes in 2013 and 2014.
- At the SIM Annual OPUS Concert at the Perth Concert Hall (2011 and 2014) our guitar students have been invited to perform with the Willetton Senior High School guitar ensemble.
- WAGSMS Crown Theatre Concert – both the Junior Choir and string groups have an opportunity to perform at this event.
- The ABODA String Festival – our school has consistently been awarded a Certificates of Excellence since 2011.
- Music Count Us In - Burrendah students join other students from around Australia in singing the same song at the same time in order to promote music education in schools.
- South Metropolitan Public Primary Schools Sing Festival - our Junior Choir and Senior Choir have an opportunity to perform for and sing with other primary schools in the district.
- Herald Avenue Senior Citizens Concert - Burrendah students travel to the Retirement Centre to perform for our senior citizens.
- Burrendah Primary Annual Music Concert - all students involved in the Burrendah Music program perform for friends and family at the Perth Christian Life Centre. This is an opportunity for students to demonstrate their year’s hard work.
- School Assemblies – in addition to the dedicated Music Assembly, our music students often provide the entertainment for school events, including the Awards Assembly.
- Christmas Carols Performance - the Junior and Senior Choir perform Christmas carols at the end of the year at Southlands Shopping Centre.