Burrendah Primary School has established a whole school approach to Maths which aims to resolve student misconceptions, increase fluency and engage students in problem-solving skills. An evidence-based approach has been incorporated into teaching Mathematics, which is providing common and consistent practices across the school. Our staff work collaboratively within and across learning areas to allow for consistency in planning, teaching, moderating and assessment in reporting of Mathematics. The aim is to ensure that students are confident creative users and communicators of mathematics by providing a range of concrete, pictorial and abstract experiences.
A typical Numeracy Block structure will include:
• Problems used to introduce concepts.
• High Impact Teaching Strategies utilised to develop numeracy.
• Concrete, pictorial, abstract approach to develop conceptual understanding.
• Explicit teaching of basic facts, mathematical vocabulary, and operational skills.
• Interleaved practice to aid retention of knowledge
Helping Your Child with Maths at Home - please click HERE