At Burrendah Primary School, the aim of Mathematics across the school is to ensure that all students are confident, capable and creative users of Mathematics. Back to Front Mathematics is being introduced to the school from Kindergarten to Year 6. Back to Front Mathematics is a holistic program which encompasses the development of mathematical understanding, fluency, logical reasoning, analytical thought and problem-solving skills.
Our staff work collaboratively within and across learning teams to allow for consistency in planning, teaching, moderating/assessing and reporting of Mathematics. Students are given the opportunity to engage in hands-on experiences with concrete materials before moving on to the abstract form. A typical mathematics lesson follows a Numeracy Block structure:
- A warm-up to strengthen mental computation skills and build fluency
- A revision of the mathematical literacy that will allow students to successfully engage in the concepts
- A modeled, explicit teaching session to build student’s understanding
- Individual or group activities to allow students to apply their knowledge and to practice their skills
- A reflection session that ties together the learning and allows students to share, review and assess their learning